Saturday 30 October 2010

3D Spatial- Second week

I have really enjoyed this second week of 3D Spatial, its been very surprising, as I didn’t really think it would be for some reason, however I have surprised myself!!
Day 35.
Today we were given the brief of designing, a structure to walk through- not a building, a structure to hold the human body- not a chair and a structure to hold a small object- not a box. This I was quite uncertain about the whole thing, I didn’t really know where to start, as we had to use our structures we repeated over the weekend and I felt mine was to flimsy and big. But I then my brain sort of let go and I found my structure had two parts, the left hand side and the right, which allowed me to bend them together and play around which I really liked. I found them difficult to draw to show my thought process as they were just lines and cardboard, but I gave it ago! By the end of the day I came up with one good idea for the structure to hold a small object, which I did by just folding and bending two of my structures together, it worked well I thought. Here is a photo of my structure to hold a small object, it only holds a pencil sharpener but oh well!!!!






I really like this structure I think its really different and interesting which I love! Im very pleased with how it looks! YAY!!!

Day 36.
So today my task was to create a design for, a structure to walk through and a structure to hold the human body!  I came up with my design to walk through quite quickly today and I actually really like it! It allows people to have a nice walk through my structure, with light coming through the areas I have cut out, this I think is really nice!  Here are some photos below!




This structure I really like also, I think its really different but interesting also and I'm again really pleased with how its turned out!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So also today I was trying out different colours of card to create this structure, I tried using white card, to make it more neutral compared to the orange, but this didn’t really work unfortunately. So I went and bought some more card but grey, as this I thought would be neutral, and allow people to enjoy walking through the structure. I also scaled it up a bit, instead of making it out of a A5 piece of paper I used an A4 piece, so its ever so slightly bigger which is the scale I wanted!!! See the photos of this structure below!




Unfortunately today I really struggled with creating a design for the structure to rest the human body on. I figured out that my design is quite rigid and would b uncomfortable to sit or rest on, so I decided to try and bring in a curve to my design. But my brain was boggled with to many things by the end of today, so I decided to take a break and look at my work with a fresh eye tomorrow!

Day 37.
Area talks today and I was hoping that these talks would help be decided what area I will go into and that I would be able to make that decision very easily. However I was completely wrong! I came out of the lecture theatre with an even more boggled mind!!!!!!!! They all seem really interesting and I think I would enjoy all of the areas, even Vis Com which I didn’t enjoy really the second week, but the things they have created look amazing! Fashion and Textiles looks great also, with the way they manipulate they fabric, but the way they also manipulate their ideas to create what they are now. 3D and Spatial looked great also, with structure part of this course I really liked and think I would find it fascinating!! Fine Art also looks really good, with the variety of things I'd be able to do in this area. Media, the work people have created looked great too, just amazing!!! I think I would like them all! My brain has never so stuck in what to do, so many things to think about!! Arrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! So I went home to make a bacon sandwich to make things better to do my 3D Spatial work this afternoon!
So this afternoon I decided to focus on the structure to rest the human body on. I stuck with the idea of trying to put in a curve to my work, to make it nicer to sit on. Its hard to explain so here are the photos of this piece below!!!




Above are photos of my structure to hold the human body! I have created a curve in which people can sit on and relax as it will be comfortable for the spine to relax on. I have also managed to put the cut out slits on top and also I put the paper clips on top also. This also allows the customer to see the sky above through the paper clips. The sides are blocked out by the arms on the side, as these will block the sun out because the top will let the sun in. I'm also pleased with this structure too, its different to my other pieces with the curve, which I have to say I really like!!! YAY!!!! Also I made this structure out of card, but of a plum colour because I thought it would be warming for the customer to sit on.
Also below are pictures of my structure to hold a small object, here I have just scaled up the same design as before. Again I went up from using an A5 piece of paper to an A4 piece. This I think worked well as I was able to place a lip balm inside! I really like this structure! Again I chose to use a deep blue colour as then all my structures have a link between them with the slits and paperclips, but also the coloured paper works well together and brings them together as three pieces- if this makes sense! I hope so!!! Below are my photos of my piece! YAY!!!!!




Day 38.
As I have completed all my structures I went and met my Dad for lunch. Then he took me to a little gallery called the 'aicongallery' and in the gallery was work by Rasheed Araeen.  His work was very modular like, it was 3D, and all his pieces looked like structures of their own! I really liked his work and it linked well to my structures I thought, being that they had sections cute out of them, and that mine are fragile looking like Araeen's. I wasn’t aloud to take photos in the gallery, so here is the link to the gallery and his work, so you can see his work also. I hope you like it like I did!

Day 39. 
Crit day today, and I was fine about today’s Crit because I was pleased with the work I had produced! However I was so silly and forgot to bring in my 45 minute drawing I did, so I managed to go home and pick it up in time before the crit. I was pleased with the lay out I did with the time I had when I got back, however it meant I didn’t have time to talk to the tutors about the work I had produced which was a shame really! The Crit with my peers went okay, they liked my design and the colours I'd used but they thought it was to fragile, that it would fly away, but I would make the actually structure out of stronger material so it would survive the elements. Otherwise it was a good Crit! The work they had produced was really good also, I love to see other peoples take on what we all have been given its great!!!!! 
I have really enjoyed this area and I would love to go into it and get my design juices going, as I’ve really enjoyed this!! YAY!!!!!!!!!

Weekend. 
So this weekend I don’t have any work for an area, but I have to decide which area I'm going to go into!!! SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really stuck as I have enjoyed all of them and most of the projects I have done so I’m really stuck on what to pick!!! Wish me luck!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment