Wednesday 17 November 2010

Blogging!!!!!!!

So I feel like doing some more blogging today so I thought I'd write up the exhibitions I have been to recently!

I went to the Tate Britain last week to see the Turner Prize exhibition, I actually really enjoyed this exhibition. I loved all of the work from these artists, and found it really hard to choose my winner of the Turner Prize. I really liked Dexter Dalwoods work, the bright colours of his work stunned me. I overheard a man saying that Dalwood took drugs which made him see different colours which is why his work is so colourful. I know you shouldn’t take drugs and I never will, but its made his work really interesting I think. One of my favourite pieces of Dalwoods work is Burroughs in Tangies- 2005, I just really like the composition of this piece and I love the colours used. A very strong body of work I thought.
The next Artist was a group called The Otolith Group, this is the one body of work that I didn’t really get because, I got confused by all the TV's showing films, and I didn’t really get the story. It was a dark piece and I'm quite colourful I think so this piece wasn’t for me unfortunately! Oh well!
Angela De La Cruz was the next artist I saw and her work I thought was really interesting as her work starts of as paintings and then she uses violence to distort the image- crudely broken, ripped or folded in on themselves, placed in corners. This pieces of work I found really interesting to look at, the idea of working with mass and weight is really interesting. I really liked the piece Deflated 1X- 2010, again I loved the colour of her pieces and there is a sense of fun in her work.
The last artist was Susan Philipsz and her work was an aural piece, her three speakers and she was singing a song called Lowlands in three versions’. It tells a story of a drowned lover returning to his or her sweetheart as a ghost to morn the fact that they want to be together again. This piece made me feel sad, as her voice sounded sad and lonely, yet these sounds where in a white big light room it still made you feel the story of this couple. This I thought was a clever piece and I actually really liked it.
Out of the four artists for the Turner Prize, I really don’t know who will win and I cant really decide either. I have to say I'm really torn. I love the colour of Dalwoods work, I didn’t really understand The Otolith Groups work, De La Cruz's work I really enjoyed because of the colour and use of different materials, but then I really liked Philipsz work as its really different and I got the message portraying. So I have to say I think Susan Philipsz work should win.
I really enjoyed this exhibition! Then when I came out of the exhibition I had a text from my Dad asking me to lunch! YUMMY and a really good day!!!

Then that night I texted my brother at 2am and asked if he wanted to go to the V&A's exhibition Shadow Catchers, because he's doing photography at A-Level so thought it would be useful! So he came up to London for the day and it was great!!!
The exhibition was really different to what I expected and I actually really enjoyed it. It was work about creating a photograph by creating a photogram.
The first artist I saw was Pierre Cordier, and I didn’t really like this work, it was different and I didn’t actually like it. He used the simplest form of chemigram which involves the application of photographic developer and fixer to gelatine- silver photographic paper, using chemicals like watercolour. He creates dark areas, while fixer creates lighter tones.
The second artist was Gary Fabian Miller, his work I actually really liked. His process started in 1992 when he turned to making abstract images in a dark room using only glass vessels filled with liquid, or cut-paper forms to cast shadows and filter light. His work involved colour which I thought was nice to see. One of the pieces I really liked was called Breathing in the Beechwood, homeland, Dartmoor, 24 days of sunlight, May 2004. This piece was of 24 leaves and the colour of the leaves getting darker in the 24hrs. This I really liked.
Susan Derges I thought her process was really interesting, in 1990 she used the photographic paper in rivers and using moon and flashlight to create the exposure which I thought was a really interesting process and I really liked the work she produced. One piece I really liked was called Eden 5-2004, you could tell that it was created by moonlight, it had  an essence of moon and starlight I thought, it was really good.
The last artist we saw was Adam Fuss, and he was my brothers favourite artist of the exhibition. His work concerns the discovery of the unseen: it works with time and energy and not with material form. There was a piece called Untitled but it was a snakes tail and the photogram was just amazing, it looked like a snakes shed skin, was great.
I really enjoyed this exhibition it was really interesting but also I enjoyed it as I wasn’t on my own for once in an exhibition I was with my brother which made it even better!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment