Thursday 23 September 2010

Photos from my first two weeks!

I have finally managed to find my computer cable so I can now add my photos I took from Fashion and Textiles on to my blog! YAY!!!!





These photos above are of one of my final pieces I produced with the idea 'compress' and 'expand'. For this piece the materials I used were a fabric I stiffened with PVA (the yellow fabric) and a tracing paper which is on top. On the left hand side I have the fabric being layered coming through holes I cut, which I think is a really good effect! Then the on Right hand side I cut the shape of a half circle but then used stitch to create a pull. This effect I'm really pleased with because the stitches are loose which gives it a soft feel which is opposite to the hard cut on the other side. I also drew on the tracing paper a pattern I had in my sketch book, of a belt buckle which looks like the half circle pattern. I'm really pleased with how this has turned out!

These are photos from my second final piece I made in Fashion and Textiles.




This piece I was playing around with materials, concentrating on what effects I could get from the materials. This piece has four materials in it. On the base I have some of the stiffened fabric I created from PVA glue, but only on the left hand side because the side with the stitching was already busy enough. Then the second layer is some tracing paper. This looks good as you can see the material coming through, as when I display the piece its on a bend, so you can see the layers. However you can't really see the material on the side of the stitching, it doesn't come through very well, due to the thick fabric on top. This is something I would change if I where to do it again. Then the third layer is a thick foam, which I chose to work with because it has a good bend, and can show of the cuts that I made really well. With this material you can see the stitching I did because of the thin fabric I put on top. The fourth and final fabric I used was a lens tissue fabric, this is tricky to work with due to its floppy character, which is why I put  a thick fabric underneath to make the lens tissue work well. I made the stitching really loopy here, which I think looks really good. This piece I like, however I think I have over complicated things, with too many fabrics and stitching. However I'm pleased with the concept of layering that I have created.



This is the photocopy which all my ideas have come from. I have taken the most from this photocopy and I'm really pleased with what I've created because 'less is more' and I feel I have created that with this piece of work!

Below are the first samples in different materials that I created, from the photocopy idea above. I really like them!!!

This fabric is a thin tracing paper material, unfortunately I used a yellow cotton which you can't really see.


Above is a graph paper version I made which I think looks really good! I have also put a clear plastic on top, for the idea of layering, however you cant see this.


This is the view you get from the left hand side with the materials coming through here, being layered.


Again above is another sample I made of the circle idea, this one is made from the stiffened PVA glue fabric.


This sample above I made out of the thinner foam, which I really like.
All these samples I really like, and they helped me created my final pieces which are at the very top!

One more different type of sample I created was to have the layering effect. I made folds in the fabric, which then allowed a layered effect for the papers I used. This I really liked!


So these are all the photos I have taken of my best pieces I created in Fashion and Textiles. I'm really pleased with all the work I have created. I'm sorry that there are lots of photos, I may have gone over board a tad, but oh well! I hope you like them all.
Inspiration I got for these pieces of work where from Ernesto Neto. I went to his exhibition and there where lots of circles, his main piece of work had holes or tunnels which you could see through which is like my work but I've got layering fabric coming through my holes. Thank you for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment